Tags: attorney, estate, law, lawyer, legal, michiganbri, public, record, settled, settlement, state, trusts, wills

Public record of estate settlement?

On Lawyer & Legal » Wills & Trusts

2,064 words with 3 Comments; publish: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:43:00 GMT; (80093.75, « »)

The state is: ? Michigan

I was wondering if there was anyway I could find out if an estate has been settled. Is there public record of this accessible?

Here's the deal. My husbands grandmother died a little less than 5 years ago and lived in Wayne County MI. Her live in friend managed to get her to sign away basically all of her money while she was dying of cancer and under the influence of drugs. My father in law has been told by his brother (estate executor) that the estate still has not settled because they are trying to get this money back from the "friend". I don't think I believe this anymore and was wondering if there was any way I could find out for sure since I think the brother is lying to us.

If I am in the wrong forum please let me know where I should post this more appropriately.

Thank you

All Comments

Leave a comment...

    • Don: I believe that is exactly what he did. She wouldn't give up her house and family cottage though. He thought he was entitled to her entire estate since he's lived with her since her husband died. My husband heard with his own ears, many times, however that she had a husband and he would never fill that roll for her and didn't have any claim to her estate. Once she was under heavy medication and dying he swooped in for anything he could get his hands on.

      Also, I think the brother is telling the truth. I circumvented fatherinlaw and asked the brothers wife directly and the estate settled several years ago and fatherinlaw lied to us... not really unexpected. This is a messed up family.

      Thanks for the reply. Good information to have.

      #1; Wed, 06 Aug 2008 12:05:00 GMT
    • You can check the probate file to be sure, but brother is probably telling the truth. The lady probably committed elder financial abuse by getting a signed power of attorney to be in charge of her financial assets and took some monies for herself.
      #2; Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:27:00 GMT
    • The probate case file should be available for anybody to view. Check at the Wayne County courthouse.

      Wayne County Probate Court

      #3; Wed, 06 Aug 2008 07:05:00 GMT