Tags: appropriate, attorney, back, board, child, cold, family, inheritance, law, lawyer, legal, live, sound, trusts, wills

inheritance/back child support

On Lawyer & Legal » Wills & Trusts

986 words with 2 Comments; publish: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 21:06:00 GMT; (800109.38, « »)

I have also posted this in family law because I don't really know which board is appropriate. This is going to sound so cold but here goes. We live in FL. My ex is behind over $5,000 in back child support which is court ordered. His mother died two years ago and he is to receive a few thousand dollars for inheritance. Can this money be intercepted to pay his child support?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

    • thanks for your reply and helpful answer
      #1; Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:55:00 GMT
    • Is the support delinquency being handled by the Child Support Enforcement unit in your state or are you doing this yourself? If you are doing this yourself, you may first need to get a judgment of the amount owed against your husband - i.e., for the $5000. Then you can take any actions allowed by law to collect on the judgment - you can check your state laws to see what avenues are available for collecting (seizing assets!). If the matter is being handled by child support enforcement unit- bring this to their attention and ask what they can do on your behalf.

      #2; Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:53:00 GMT